THE William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act of 2008
- 50 Key Provisions Download report
- Photograph of the signing today (December 23, 2008) of the William Wilberforce Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2008
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Social Service agencies in Illinois are mandated to contact the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children when children go missing from their care. This of course does not include law enforcement. Between 2003 through 6/30/2008, the NCMEC received over 4,200 reports of missing children from Chicago alone (3,326 of which were African American children). 97% of the children reported were classified as endangered runaways.
In addition, information from NCMEC Exploited Child Division, which processes reports of child pornography and other forms of child sexual exploitation, cases have grown astronomically from 2005 (13) to 2007 (306). Studies tell us that only about 30% of incidences are reported. Children are silenced by fear and many adults still do not want to recognize, discuss, or find solutions for these heinous crimes against children.
Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC)
- The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Youth in Illinois. Learn more.
- Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children: What Do We Know and What Do We Do About It? Download report.
- Who is There to Help Us? Download report.
- Prostitution of Juveniles: Patterns From NIBRS. Learn more.
- Deconstructing The Demand for Prostitution: Preliminary Insights From Interviews With Chicago Men Who Purchase Sex. New report.
Learn what's being done in Chicago to fight the demand for prostitution! Visit www.stopsexualexploitation.com
- The Realities of Human Trafficking in Cook County: Strategies for Ending the Exploitation of Women and Girls. Download report.
- Domestic sex trafficking of Chicago women and girls. New report.
U.S. Department of State's office to monitor and combat trafficking
- The Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons (G/TIP), led by Ambassador Mark P. Lagon, provides the tools to combat trafficking in persons and assists in the coordination of anti-trafficking efforts both worldwide and domestically.
Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics
Alleged Incidents of Human Trafficking in the United States, 1-1-07 through 9-30-08.
- The Intersystem Assessment on Prostitution in Chicago Learn more.
- The Prostitution of Women and Girls in Metropolitan Chicago: A Preliminary Prevalence Report Download report.
- Sisters Speak Out: The Lives and Needs of Prostituted Women in Chicago, A Research Study Learn more.
- Wherever I Can Lay My Head: Homeless Youth on Homelessness Learn more.
- Unaccompanied Homeless Youth in Illinois: 2005 Download document (22.8MB pdf).
- Youth on the Streets and on Their Own Learn more.
- The Salvation Army PROMISE program will host STOP THE TRAFFIK'S first international conference at Camp Wonderland on October 15, 2009.
The Salvation Army, PROMISE program has established a partnership with STOP THE TRAFFIK located in London England and will host a meeting of 21 people representing 9 countries participating in STOP THE TRAFFIK’s first international conference. Those attending this meeting represent the organizations in a given region or nation acting as a coordinating agencies for their campaigns. It is a role whose function is to inform, resource and drive forward the aims of STOP THE TRAFFIK through their various global initiatives.
The October 15, 09 conference will focus on START FREEDOM a brand new schools project to inspire the world’s young people to become social advocates and help keep those at risk safe. It is run in partnership with the United Nations. It will be launched online with a broadcast from the United Nations in New York on October 14, 2009.. Young people from around the world will have 6-months to learn what trafficking is, how it impacts their lives and what they can do to stay safe and help others. Young people will create their own community presentations - it may be street theatre, a film festival, a dance tour, an art exhibition, a book published or a community photographic project – they choose. The campaign will culminate in March 2010 with the greatest freedom show on earth, an online showcasing of what the young people have accomplished. One of our major goals in this campaign is to create an international classroom with young people worldwide being able to web chat/ conference with each other from Bombay to Bognor Regis.
- Buy the DVD. As part of our fight against human trafficking The Salvation Army is proud to support Holly, an award winning,captivating film, now available on DVD. View the flyer (369KB pdf).
- Malia Designs supports PROMISE
Malia Designs, a Chicago company with a mission to combat human trafficking, has generously agreed to donate 15% of any purchase to The Salvation Army PROMISE program. Malia Designs sells products such as bags, wallets and accessories made by non-profit organizations that employ disadvantaged people in developing countries as well as small family producers. To check out their beautiful products visit http://www.maliadesigns.com. Please be sure to type "PROMISE" in the coupon code box when making your purchase.
- PROMISE has formed a long-term partnership with Fair Fund in D.C. in an attempt to introduce their Tell Your Friends prevention curriculum to a select number of Chicago high schools.
- Previous announcements