PROMISE CSEC/Human Trafficking Training Seminar
PROMISE provided a full day of CSEC (Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children)/human trafficking training at Dominican University on October 10, 2008. The training curriculum was developed by CCIP, a team of experts from around the country. Keynote speakers included representatives from London-based Oasis/Stop the Traffik and the Department of Defense. Mark Rodgers, Dean for the School of Social Work at Dominican University was presented with an award from PROMISE for the tremendous support received over the years. As a result of our successful Seminar, PROMISE has formed a long-term international partnership with Oasis Trust/Stop the Traffik. See photos from the event and the evaluation results of the Seminar compiled by the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority.
Prevent Child Abuse Illinois Conference
PROMISE presented at the Prevent Child Abuse Illinois Annual Conference on November 21, 2008 in Oak Brook Illinois. A workshop, The Salvation Army PROMISE and STOP-IT Programs -Efforts to End the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children and Initiatives to Combat All Forms of Human Trafficking was conducted for professionals and volunteers that serve children, youth and families.
The PROMISE program offers assistance in flagging Craigslist
Two hundred and twenty Salvation Army PROMISE task force members, CSEC Institute members, CSEC trafficking training seminar attendees, and community response plan participants, were contacted to assist Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s campaign to combat prostitution by removing erotic ads from Craigslist on Monday 1/12/09. Detailed instructions were provided on the process of flagging, in an attempt to get ads from the erotic section removed. This call to action is to recognize National Human Trafficking Awareness Day which is on Sunday, January 11, 2009.
- Training will be offered to help understand,identify and respond to the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of our Children and Youth. On Wednesday July 15, 2009 The Salvation Army PROMISE program and the Chicago Children’s Advocacy Center will sponsor a full day of training to assist clinicians in understanding, identifying and responding to the commercial sexual exploitation of children and youth. Participants will increase their knowledge of how to recognize commercial sexual exploitation, detect risk factors, effectively engage with victims, and learn about the Integrative Treatment of Complex Trauma model, a nationally acclaimed, evidence based treatment model. See Upcoming Events.
This fantastic learning opportunity will take place at the beautiful conference and learning center located at U.S. Cellular Field.
- Cheryl Lanktree, PhD, Executive Director
Miller Children’s Abuse & Violence Intervention Center
- Seth Donovan, Founder Prax(us)
- Brenda Myers-Powell, Co-Founder Dream Catchers Organization
- Cheryl Lanktree, PhD, Executive Director
- Buy the DVD. As part of our fight against human trafficking The Salvation Army is proud to support Holly, an award winning,captivating film, now available on DVD. View the flyer (369KB pdf).
- Malia Designs Supports PROMISE
Malia Designs, a Chicago company with a mission to combat human trafficking, has generously agreed to donate 15% of any purchase to The Salvation Army PROMISE program when customers inform them that the proceeds should be directed to PROMISE. Malia Designs sells products such as bags, wallets and accessories made by non-profit organizations that employ disadvantaged people in developing countries as well as small family producers. To check out their beautiful products visit http://www.maliadesigns.com. Be sure to indicate the your purchase is for PROMISE by sending Malia Designs an email at .
- The Salvation Army PROMISE program sponsored a half day presentation and discussion on children’s rights, sexual exploitation and child sex tourism on March 20, 2009 at the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Nursing. Presenters included Professor Jonathan Todres, Georgia State University College of Law, Carol Smolenski, Executive Director of ECPAT-USA and Amaya Renobales, Director of ECPAT-USA Protect Children in Tourism Project.
- PROMISE has formed a long-term partnership with Fair Fund in D.C. in an attempt to introduce their Tell Your Friends prevention curriculum to a select number of Chicago high schools.
- See previous announcements.
- Updated 5/16/09